The purpose and goals of the Virginia Slave Housing project are the following:
- Information: Analyze architectural, archaeological, and documentary sources to compile an array of information on Virginia slave housing.
- Generate new data: Generate new data by recording a sample of extant buildings according to standardized architectural information, interpretive field notes, and photographs.
- Dendrochronology: Improve the temporal framework for slave buildings by dating selected standing structures through dendrochronology (tree-ring dating)
- Publish: Make the results and various databases available to scholars and the public through a website hosted at the University of Maryland.
- Preservation: Encourage preservation of slavery related buildings.