Two stunning urban enclaves—“Stack Alley” by graduate students Joseph Chase Edwards (B.S. Architecture ’20) and Marcelino Defngin (B.S. Architecture ’21) and “Dwelling in the City” by undergraduate student Meredith Eby (B.S. Architecture ’22)—were awarded top honors in the graduate and undergraduate categories last week at the 2022 AIA Baltimore Excellence in Design Awards celebration. Lauded by the jury for exquisite, thoughtful design, Edwards, Defngin and Eby were celebrated alongside sixteen alumni for their creative professional achievement.
“We are thrilled to see our students and alumni recognized for their outstanding contributions to the built environment by AIA Baltimore,” said UMD Architecture Program Director Mohammad Gharipour. “It is a testament to the creative, forward-thinking design we strive to instill in every one of our students.”
Project boards showcasing the winning designs will join a traveling exhibition at local area buildings, including Baltimore City Hall, Enoch Pratt Central Library and the Morgan State and MICA schools of architecture, as well as a publication,d expected out later this year.
Created in 2013, the Future Architects Resources (FAR) Award is open to students in their final year of graduate, undergraduate and community college programs in Maryland. Winning projects demonstrate innovation, social responsibility, environmental stewardship and critical thinking.
Sixteen alumni were also recognized this year for design excellence in residential, institutional, commercial and community-based projects:
- Mark McInturff (B.ARCH '72) and Jeffrey McInturff (M.ARCH '14), Residential Design Award (House in a Clearing, Owings Mills, Md.)
- Stephen Pasquerello (B.S Architecture '15, M.ARCH '17), Timothy Shook (M.ARCH '18) and Allison Wilson (B.S. Architecture '09, M.ARCH '11), Design Award, Honorable Mention (Case Western Reserve University Fribley Commons Dining Facility, Cleveland, Ohio)
- Katherine LePage (B.S. Architecture '02), Design Award, Honorable Mention (C&O Canal National Historic Park Headquarters, Williamsport, Md.)
- Nicolas Mansperger (B.S. Architecture '02, M.ARCH '04), Matt Herbert (B.S. Architecture '98, M.ARCH '00), Jennifer Chorosevic (M.ARCH/M.RED '17) and Mike Goodwin (B.S. Architecture '90, M.ARCH '92), Design Award, Honorable Mention (Arrowwood, North Bethesda, Md.)
- Ann Neeriemer (B.S. Architecture '03, M.ARCH '06) and Mary R. Rankin (B.S. Architecture '98, M.ARCH '01), Design Award and Grand Design Award (Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, Washington, D.C.)
- Anthony McAllister (B.S. Architecture '12), Good Design=Good Business and Excellence in Sustainability Awards (Brooks Nature The Rookery, Reading, Pa.)
- Rachel Federline (B.S. Architecture '14), Jennifer Chorosevic (M.ARCH/M.RED '17) and Matt Herbert (B.S. Architecture '98, M.ARCH '00), Design Award, Honorable Mention (College Park City Hall, College Park, Md.)
- Michael Miskimon (B.S. Architecture '95), Design Award, Honorable Mention (20th CBRNE Command Building 5046, Aberdeen, Md.)
- Mary R. Rankin (B.S. Architecture '98, M.ARCH '01) and Huyen Nguyen (M.ARCH '97), Design Award, Honorable Mention and Excellence in Sustainability (John Lewis Elementary School, Washington, D.C.)