Flyer | Sample Syllabus | Application/Tuition Information
Have You Considered a Career in Architecture? Join us at the University of Maryland School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation for ARCH 150: Discovering Architecture.
Discover an Exciting Career in Architecture Have you ever dreamed of designing buildings, bridges or parks? If that sounds exciting, then the University of Maryland's Discovering Architecture summer course is for you. This hands-on course is designed to assist you in making an intelligent choice about a possible career in architecture. You will learn about careers in architecture, landscape architecture and urban design planning. We'll introduce you to successful architects, take you on tours of architectural landmarks and teach you basic design principles that you will use to complete your own design project. It's a great way to try on a career before you start college.
Work in the School of Architecture's Studios Get a taste of what it's like to be an architecture student. You will work on your own design projects in a design studio environment and interact with graduate architecture students.
Take Great Field Trips to Architectural Landmarks We will keep you on the move with exciting tours to well-known locations such as the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, and many of the great neighborhoods, gardens and monuments of Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Talk to Successful Architects Meet local architects and tour their offices. You'll see how architectural dreams become a reality. Plus, you'll explore architecture's past and present and see how new technologies are affecting the field of architecture.
Learn from Faculty and Design Professionals This is a great opportunity to learn from some of the very best. The University of Maryland Architecture Program is one of the top architectural schools in the country. University faculty teach the workshop, along with graduate students and other design experts familiar with the latest in architectural advancements. You also will learn how to prepare for design school admission.
The program allows you to:
• Test your academic and career interests
• Earn three college credits
• Commute to campus or live in a university residence hall
• Benefit from the outstanding resources of the university, including a world-class library system, science centers, computer labs and recreational facilities
• Participate in career-oriented field trips in the Washington-Baltimore metropolitan area
Testimonials from Recent Participants
• "The biggest surprise was realizing the multiple ways of looking at things." Dorian Frost
• “The program was a great experience for me and will play a large role in my future plans.” Alison Schloemer
• "I realize now that the profession is much more broad than I had previously thought." Kristen Smith
More information on summer programs at the University of Maryland may be found at www.summer.umd.edu.